St. Mary's N.S.


Go to content

Main menu:


History

About Us

The school was founded in 1939. When built it had three classrooms, two toilets and a cloakroom. Our school now has a general purpose hall, a library, three classrooms, a staff room/kitchen, five toilets and one toilet with wheelchair access, a portocabin and learning support room.

Following a major renovation in 2004, the extended school was officially opened by the President of Ireland, Mary McAleese.

The school is situated close to the ancestral home of the O'Connor Dons and also a short distance from Rathcroghan.
Rathcroghan mound or Cruachain is located nearby. It is here that the legend Queen Maeve had her Palace. In the area there are a series of mounds now covered by grass. Not far away is a place called Oweynagat which in ancient times was thought to be the entrance to the underworld.

Home Page | About Us | Latest News | Site Map


St. Mary's N.S. Ballinagare, Co. Roscommon | ballinagarens@eircom.net

Back to content | Back to main menu